Search This Blog

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Revised Artist Statement

When beginning a work of art I write down what I recall from a dream or a thought and then draw a simple sketch of the idea.
My artwork attempts to demonstrate a dualistic or dreamlike quality. I am influenced by the German Expressionist and pop surrealism movements. I try to evoke emotion from my audience through the usage of color and imagery, typically a feeling of Angst or unhappiness. I tell a story through my art by choosing specific subject matter, form and symbolism or color to show the work in a different light. I've made a few pieces this summer that reflect this process. My clay piece is a 20" tall pitcher with a form that is heavily influenced by George Ohr. The size of this piece is unrealistic for ordinary usage, but is still technically a vessel. The mid section is a coiled organic shape that contrasts with the simplicity and smoothness of the base form and the spout. The rabbit heads are placed around the bottom and the top of the handle, they are glazed to appear albino with bleeding eyes. My plaster pieces deal with the content of bones, fists and skulls painted with a lime green wash. The lime green coloring reminds the viewer of slime or ooze, giving the imagery a more eerie quality. My photography work has a definite feeling of angst with the strong overwhelming blacks and dark grays with the muted whites.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...