Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Friends and Great Blue Herons

So i'm currently applying to take another class in Chicago this summer (totaling me to 6 weeks) so that I can qualify to apply for a federal or personal loan. Hopefully, I can.
So today I woke up(late) and went to hang out with Laura Dimitru and Teresa Gentry, two of the girls from MAP 09! We barely see one another on campus so we decided to have some fun hanging out since summer is NOW! And we went to a local park with a little lagoon area.
Right away I saw a Great Blue Heron flying overhead, and I identified it to them and explained how you know it is a Great Blue Heron and not a stork (Herons fly with their necks still curved in an 's' shape, Storks usually fly with their necks completely straight).
We walked along the dock area and there were lilly pads and algae and we were talking about the fish in the pond that were leaving bubbles on the surface. When we spotted the Heron on the opposite side of the pond. We watched it wade through the water and I said to my friends "Hey, you know what would be cool? If we got to see it eat a fish. I'm really curious how it catches them and eats it", and within ten minutes it speared a fish with its beak. We could see the fish wiggle from side to side on the end of the beak and somehow it ate the fish. After eating the fish it wiggled its feathers and scooped up water in its beak. I'm assuming the fish was still wiggling all the way down into his stomach. He flew away after that.

The way the Great Blue Heron spears its prey is significant with its medicine, symbolizing the ability to take aggressive action for opportunity. Do not let opportunity pass you by, be aggressive about taking action to make it happen.

After that, me and Teresa went to eat and we ate some IHOP awesome-ness and chatted.
I came home, filled out my second registration form for SAIC and second housing form. Brittany came by dropped off some of my drawings that were at Alec's house and I went with them to Barnes and Nobles, but not before dropping off my completed SAIC forms at the postal office. I read some of Ted Andrews, Animal Speak, I was reading about Herons, snakes, spiders, bats, otters etc. My main totem animals really.
So now i'm going to spend the rest of the day, relaxing with my Melinda, maybe painting(I should!), watching TV, reading etc. soaking in my first full day of summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...