Search This Blog

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Goth Community: California day 6- Tim Burton's Exhibition at the LACMA



So, it should be of no surprise to you, that when I found out I was coming to LA.
My only stipulation was that I got to go to this exhibition.
No really, I told my parents it was non-negotiable.
I rolled out of bed at almost 10 here, and started getting ready.
I got my ticket, and sat down waiting for those ten minutes till it reached noon to go in.




The ticket was 20$.
A woman scanning my ticket told me she liked my Tim Burton attire.
I chuckled.
I always chuckle when people think I'm dressed up for events (renaissance faires are a common example), i'm always like "oh why thank you" or "I actually look like this all of the time."
Really?
Really.
I was then told I couldn't use my camera, which sucked.
There were about eight rooms total, filled with Tim Burton's work.
I paid the extra 7$ to get an audio companion to use during the exhibition that had feedback from Tim Burton, and the curator about each room.
I did 6 pages of drawings, and notes about his work, and ideas that sprang to life while I was there.
The costume for Edward Scissorhands, as well as his hands, were on display.
The cat suit Michelle Pfeiffer wore, and the various head pieces for Batman were as well.
You saw all of Jack's heads, as well as numerous Nightmare Before Christmas characters.
A lot of cartoons from when he was working for Disney.
One of the things I loved most though, was that he displayed his writing.
So he displayed how he worked through the concepts for some of his most well known works, and it was so incredibly interesting!
To see his thoughts behind the character concepts, why he wanted them to look or act a certain way, what he wanted them to say in the first scene, how to introduce them etc.
It was just so glorious to be aloud to see into how he saw his own characters.
I bought this poster, and these magnets.
I actually only had 33$, which was unexpected.
Not terrible of course, at least I had money to spend!
At least some of his prints, and what not I can buy from the LACMA website.
I'm still determined to get his art book for 70$.
So determined.
BUT, even though I followed the rules and didn't take photos, other people didn't.
So, for your enjoyment are some photos I found to give you a taste of the exhibition, via Tumblr.
The entrance!
This was the black light room, with the real Oogie Boogie to the left in the case.
Do you see the one on the bottom right? She's in/is a rollerskate, I really hope it is in his book, because I want that tattooed.
I might as well just dedicate my right arm to Tim Burton.
I'm already getting Edward Scissorhands on my inner right forearm.
Today was such a day of badassery.
I spent over three hours in his exhibition.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...