Search This Blog

Monday, September 12, 2011

Day 12-What's your Gothic Inspiration?


Oh boy!
I take inspiration from a variety of places.
My art and my fashion inspirations are very very similar.
But, without further ado!
  • Tim Burton and Helena Bonham Carter
*Like any Goth, Tim Burton has been a huge influence on me, nearly, my entire life. Who doesn't want to live in one of Burton's worlds?! Helena has wonderful fashion sense as well, with her long flowing black skirts and pointy boots, she takes any Goth girls heart.
  • Amanda Palmer
*She is such a Goddess. Punk Cabaret, with corsets, stripes, and boots. I seriously love this woman.
  • Avant Garde/High Fashion
-The first time I found high fashion was when I was in 7th grade, I was 12 at the time, and I was scouring everywhere to get ideas about Goth fashion. I was still in the early babybat stages when I came across a magazine. We were doing collaging in class, and I was cutting out and saving the things I really liked. I found two pages (which I still have and are actually hanging up on my wall at home), one was about Punk, the other about Goth, and their influences in the high fashion industry. It discussed Alexander McQueen (who will forever be my favorite. RIP), with the "God save McQueen" line he did featuring a lot of tartan, studs, skulls etc. And then the Goth page has a purple asymmetrical gown with a long collar and huge black boots with, I believe, Christian Dior as the designer. I was floored. I still take inspiration from high fashion, I usually find myself coming up with items that I can attempt to re-create at home.

  • Razor Candi
-Anytime I find a photo of her, I save it to my desktop. I found her back in 2006, she is who I credit for showing me what Deathrock was. I'm constantly taking visual tips from her. She also taught me that girls can look badass covered in blood with mohawks. I was so young when I was exposed to her. <3

  • Halloween
-No really. Once Halloween hits, I take inventory of costumes, decor, and accessories. I then write down what I liked about it, like the other day I found this curtain which was sheer, but with a solid haunted house and bats. I then came up with the idea of applying that same type of concept, to a dress or sheets. Layering is a big one when I find costumes I like, I determine how many pieces it would take to make a durable wearable item, and then what fabrics it would look best in. This is when my fashionista mindset comes out in full spooky force.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...