Search This Blog

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Kindle

So, Alec bought me a kindle for Christmas, which is pretty sweet.
I love it.
I've got 13 books on it already, over half are free classics I wanted: Frankenstein, dracula, Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde etc.
I wasn't sure about it at first, but I decided that it would be really useful for me.
I bring suitcases full of books(at least 8 books with me) if i'm gone for less than five days, if i'm gone for longer it doubles.
I love that I can take so many books with me and yet it fits in my coat pocket.
The battery life is great, if you turn off the WiFi it lasts about 2 months without charging it.
I've had some people make negative comments, in my opinion they obviously don't read enough to understand how or why it is useful.
It is great if you have a reading addiction like moi (i've read over 50 books this year), and I need to get rid of some of my books to make room for a larger art space. This way I don't need to stop buying books or what have you.
Having a kindle won't prevent me from buying physical books, it will just slow down how many books I buy to take up space.
AND, it is EXTREMELY environmentally friendly!
I don't have to have a copy made of paper, I can have it digitally. Then, I can recycle the books I had before that I loved, by giving them to bookstores and what not!
I love it!

The screen isn't bad at all, there is only a slight glare if it is under direct lighting, which can be changed by simply tilting the kindle.
Charging it isn't bad either, I charge it while I sleep, just like my macbook.
I do miss page numbers, but the bottom has a percentage to show you how much of the book you have completed, it also has small markers to show you when a new chapter is coming up.

They have really cool screensavers of illustrations that retained pen strokes.
You can sample books, so for free you get like a chapter or so, so you can view it like you would at the store. They also have a way to skip to the back page.
You still get the book cover too, which was important to me.
There is a bookmark feature, so it dog ears the page for you.
It also keeps all the books you buy in your kindle account, so if something happened to your kindle, they would send you a new one with those books.
I am still getting books from the library, remember that whole addiction to books thing??! There are some books I don't want to buy before I read, others I do.
I don't use it as a "computer" The only thing this is for me is a hand held library.
I don't care about the WiFi, unless i'm buying a book. Which is something else I love, how you can get a book instantly!!

For me, this is a great fit, especially since I can read MORE than I already do, spending less money (in some cases, some EBooks I will purchase physical copies of due to pricing), and taking up less space while being environmentally friendly!

Love, love, LOVE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...